Pages

My Help Cometh From the Lord!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Simplicity 1716 - The Second Time Around - A Sweater Knit

I couldn't resist.  I had to have this dress in this fabric.  When I purchased this Fabric at Jo Ann Fabrics, on clearance, I imagined a long sleeve, midi-length, cowl neck sweater dress.  Once I completed the first version of this pattern, I knew that I wanted a second one...just like this!
Sweater knits are in a league all their own, in my opinion.  I am disappointed that I have not sewn more with them during these (I say these for it is yet applicable) colder months but all hope is not lost.  I have a few light sweater knits, in stash, that I would wear in the Spring/Summer.   
This fabric is quite interesting.  It's a combination of textures and right off the bolt is rather shapeless and "bouncy" due to the severe amount of stretch.   I'd say it's  kind of 'floggidy' - a household word meaning "all over the place".   I must admit - it was far from a pleasure to stitch.  The moment I cut into it - it began shedding.  Stitching across textures resulted in some parts feeding well and other parts...not so much, not to mention the fraying and unraveling that was going on.  The flip-side?  What it lacked in all of these areas...it has more than made up for in touch and feel!  Soft, soft, soft...just fabulous!
Unlike the first version, I cut the back into two pieces.  I like the fit much better.  I lengthened it by about 3" and did not include a lining.  No ironing either.  After my experience hemming the sleeves (same issues with fabric feed), I decided on an "organic" finish for the "hem".  I cut and shaped the bottom of the dress as best I could and left it alone. 

Well there you have it.  Two new easy to make dresses!  I'm delighted and a pleasantly surprised at how they both turned out.  This is a GREAT pattern!  I highly recommend it for it's simplicity, ease of sewing and overall FABULOUS FACTOR!
Until next time...PEACE AND BLESSINGS!










































10 comments:

  1. Both are really cute but I love the sweater knit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I just cannot choose which one I like best. They both look beautiful on you.. Such a fantastic pattern for you..
    Know you will enjoy wearing both of them. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new dress, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm partial to the sweater knit, but both dresses look awesome on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very Luxe, I love it sweetie. You are making that pattern work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both dresses and wished you lived close, I could definitely wear one of them next weekend to an event I will be attending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!! Both dresses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both dresses are lovely. Really liking the look, especially with the animal print pumps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous!! You want to touch the photo :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for stopping by! BE BLESSED!