Once upon a time, not long ago, I thought that muslin making was a "time consuming" process that resulted in a waste of resources...especially fabric!
|There's a lot to like about this dress: The wide straps, the front and back necklines, the wrap detail, the full skirt...|
After several successful muslin made projects...
This test garment was made using a jersey knit that has been in Virginia's stash since the beginning of time. The good news....I managed to use nearly all of it for this test!
|From left to right: M5525, V8491 (OOP) and S1650.|
I soon realized that there are many benefits of going through the process. In addition to a great fit, it provides the perfect opportunity to become familiar with the construction details of a project. Any new methods and/or techniques introduced can practiced and required skills "honed in on" before working with the final fabric.
|This wrap detail - one of my main attractions to this pattern.|
|There are some nice colors in this print but all together it's just bizzy!|
The adjustments needed to make this dress work for me involve making everything above the waist smaller. An easy enough fix but I discovered something else about this dress during this process: I don't like it as much as I thought I did and will not be making it twice - another benefit
|There is a lot of gaping in the whole top area: around the arms, at the shoulders, in the front and the back.|
At this point, I don't think that I will make a muslin for everything that I sew but when I do I won't feel bad about using the fabric in my stash that could easily be used for this purpose...and not be missed. Instead of considering it a waste, I will think of it (muslin making) as more of an investment - of resources!
Until next time....PEACE AND BLESSINGS!!!