When I saw this red polka dot fabric (and this blue version still in stash) at Wal-Mart I just had to have it (them). I was at a store out of my local area and just "happened upon" the fabric section. It was nice to browse since the store in my area does not sell fabric. Okay...so it wasn't the most thrilling experience I've had browsing fabric but the two prints definitely got my attention.
My original plan was to marry them up in to one bold, gorgeous garment (still wish I could have done that somehow) but I couldn't find the right project to do so. I kept changing my mind, going back and forth, in and out, up and down...so I decided to use them separately.
The skirt (and partial peplum) portion of the dress is cut from a red linen polyester blend that I found in Virginia's stash. It has a little weight but still on the light side. The red polka dot fabric is a cotton blend with little stretch and very much on the light side. To balance things out some, I lined the bodice with a lightweight cotton fabric.
I wanted the pleated peplum version of this dress but did not have enough dotted fabric so I shared the two fabrics with the peplum to complete the desired look. I cut 3" into both front and back (peplum) pieces, - which originally measured about 7" - added 5/8"seam allowance to both pieces and VIOLA!
I couldn't have asked for a better result. One thing is for sure however, I will have this dress professionally cleaned. The cotton has a tendency to wrinkle easily but the linen blend does not. I had "a time" (one of Virginia's frequent sayings) ironing this dress! What a great dress pattern! Simplicity and Project Runway hit the nail on the head with this one!
Until next time....BE BLESSED!